Sunday, November 7, 2010

Zombie Walk Dallas 2010

So, our sweet baby Jack will be celebrating his big first birthday on November 16, 2010!  Mom and Dad decided that they wanted some professional photographs to commemorate the occasion.  Not satisfied with the traditional studio photographs, or even some adorable kiddie photos taken among the flowers and trees, I decided I wanted to try something different.  I wanted something that felt more "urban" and something that suited a little boy.  So, at the advice of our photographer, we chose the Deep Ellum area of Dallas.  For those not familiar with Dallas, Deep Ellum is an area just east of downtown.  The area itself is littered with bars, music venues, restaurants and tattoo parlors.  Perhaps not the place you'd want to take a one-year-old on a weekend night, but during the day it provides an excellent spot for photographs with its brightly colored doors and graffiti art covered walls.  Are you thinking I'm crazy yet?  Just wait...

Tommy, Jack and I met the photographer in Deep Ellum around 5:30pm on a Saturday.  Should normally be a quiet time in Deep Ellum, perfect for snapping some photos.  However, this particular day, unbeknownst to any of us, was the day of "Zombie Walk Dallas 2010."  This means that, in addition to the normal eccentricities of Deep Ellum, we now had hoards of people dressed up in their finest zombie garb, sporting fake blood, and moaning as any good zombie would, all parading around Deep Ellum.  I think our photographer was as shocked as we were, and none of us were exactly sure what would happen in this photo shoot.  Jack, on the other hand, took it all in stride.  While he wasn't exactly his normal, super-smiley self, he wasn't at all upset.  He studied everything as Jack always does.  He stared at the motorcycles and cars that drove by packed with zombies and music blaring.    He smiled at the zombies as they walked by, all exclaiming how cute he was.  He walked, arms outstretched towards the tattoo artists who stepped out of their parlors to take a break.

When we left, we weren't at all sure if we'd gotten any good photographs.  As it turned out, we didn't need to be worried.  Our photographer, Allison Duckworth of Eleven Thirty-Six Images did an amazing job and we love just about every one of the shots she took.  I can't show them all here because I haven't received the CD I ordered yet, but I will show you a couple of the preview shots she sent us:
 
 
More to come soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Audra: I love your new photos of Jack and the family on the blog and I can't wait until you are distributing Jack's 1st birthday pictures. Do I get to pick??? Love, Mommie Dearest