Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back to Work Again...

August 22, 2012

I know I was really lucky compared to most working Moms.  I took almost exactly 4 months off of work when I had Olivia - all paid.  Nice, right?  Despite that, when the morning of August 22nd rolled around, I found myself desperately wishing that I would have added another week or 2 of the PTO that I lose every year onto the end of my maternity leave.

Alas, it was time for me to return to work.  I struggled to find the perfect outfit for her to wear on her first day of school, as I'm sure I will for so many years until she decides that she wants to pick out her own first day outfits.  I love all of the sweet girl outfits, but I must admit I find the sheer magnitude of options to be a little overwhemling.  Don't get me wrong, it is still fun to have a little baby girl and to buy her buy frilly dresses and bows, but I do get ever so slightly stressed out picking out those clothes.  On top of that, you can't send a 4-month-old to daycare in anything too fancy, because, if you do it will come home covered in poop or spit up.  Guaranteed.  Anyway, this is what I came up with for my little girl to wear to her first day of school ever - at exactly 3 months, 3 weeks and one day old. Wow, that sounds so little as I type it.
 
Here's the one we took with the nice camera:
And here's the one I took with my phone - I couldn't decide which one I liked better.
Hugs from big brother, all dressed up for splash day at daycare...
I'm not sure if this first day was easier or harder than it was with Jack. I don't think I shed quite as many tears, but I think I had more dread of actually going back to work, because I knew how hard it would be, especially when busy season rolled around yet again in a few months.  I had some big decisions ahead of me in the not-too-distant future, but we'll save that for later.

Livi settled into her first day at daycare quite nicely.  With both of my kids, I think that first day was much harder on me than it was on them.  Everyone proclaimed how much she looked like Jack, which is funny, because I really don't see it most of the time.  Jack was the proud big brother, showing his little sister to all of his classmates and telling anyone in the school who would listen that this was sister.  It is so hard to believe that when we moved to Frisco and Jack started at Kids r Kids, he was just a couple of months older than Livi on the day she started.   Time marches on, sometimes I just wish it would march a little slower!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW it is harder on you than them! People always thought you and Katy looked exactly alike too and I couldn't see it. All I can see when I look at Livi is your baby pictures! Yes, they do grow fast. Try to enjoy as much as you can. (no one enjoys "every minute.") Love, Mommie Dearest