Wednesday, February 19, 2014

And the Rockets Red Glare...

July 2013
 
We had a great family day on the 4th of July this year.  I got cute Mickey and Minnie shirts for the kids.  We took probably 50 photos of them sitting in this chair, trying to get a good one. This was the best we got:
I can't believe how much they've changed in just a year:
We made some fun 4th of July cookies - sugar cookies topped with buttercream frosting, colored sugar and Pop Rocks, so they pop and crackle in your mouth like fireworks. Strange sensation, but pretty tasty:
In the late afternoon, we headed to Frisco Square for the Frisco Freedom Fest.  They had bands, kids games and tons of food from the local restaurants.  We had pizza and pad thai - the pad thai was from my favorite local Thai restuarant that had a booth at the festival.  Yum! After that, we found a prime firework watching location and unrolled our blanket.  Jack enjoyed a snow cone while we waited for it to get dark.  He doesn't look like he's enjoying it too much here, but I think it was just cold:
I actually remembered to have someone take a family picture of us, and it turned out pretty well:
There were several families sitting around us with kids near Jack's age, so they had tons of fun running around like crazies.  We bought Jack a glow-in-the-dark sword and he thought he was super cool!  I think it is in his hand in this picture, even though we can't see it:
Of course, little Miss Livi had fun, too!
 
I didn't take any pictures of the fireworks, but I never think photos do them justice anyway.  We had a great view of them as they exploded over the soccer stadium.  Thankfully, neither of the kids seemed to mind the noise of the fireworks.  Hopefully, we can make this a family tradition.  I don't know what it is about watching fireworks on the 4th of July, but it always makes me almost giddy to watch them, especially if there is some nice patriotic music in the background.  For a few minutes each year, I have my thoughts to myself to consider just how lucky I am to have the life I've had and look forward to everything that lies ahead.  Happy 4th of July!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are indeed fortunate to live where we live in the times that we do. I agree about the fireworks, but the music with them is what makes it for me. Love you. Mommie Dearest