Thursday, March 13, 2014

North Carolina Cousin Fun!

August 2013

Since I just started my job in May, I didn't have many vacation days for the remainder of the year.  We decided to use a few of those days to head to North Carolina to visit Aunt Katy, Uncle Ian and cousins Evan and Ben, who we don't get to see nearly often enough.

It was our first time to fly as a family of four, and only our second time to fly with Jack since he was born, so I think Tommy and I were both a little nervous.  Jack did great - he loved to look out the window and the I-Pad kept him occupied for most of the flights.  Olivia did pretty well, too.  She sat with mom most of the time, cried a little and kicked the seat in front of me much more than the person in front of me liked, I'm sure, but it could have been a lot worse.  Here we are before Olivia's first plane flight ever:
We arrived at the Raleigh-Durham airport and the boys were fast friends.  I love it how cousins can not see each other for months and be best friends again minutes after they meet.  It makes me happy.

We got back to their house and had a relaxing night at home.  All of the boys slept together in Evan's room.  They spent a good amount of time giggling and talking in the room after we turned out the lights, but they did eventually go to sleep.  Miss Olivia, the only girl, had her very own room, courtesy of cousin Ben.  Here are the boys getting ready for bed.  They are getting so big (sniff, sniff...).
This picture was taken on a different night, but I thought I'd add it here while we're discussing bedtime.  A nice cartoon before bed is a great way to calm down a foursome of very excited kiddos:
We got up the next day and had a relaxing morning at home while Evan and Katy headed to a playdate to meet his new classmates for the upcoming school year.  When they returned, we headed out to get some donuts at one of the Davises favorite local donut shops, Rise.  I have to admit that my maple bacon donut was really delicious.  I may or may not have eaten a biscuit too.  Yum!

In the afternoon, we headed to their neighborhood pool.  Tommy got this cute picture of the sisters and their kiddos:
Everyone had a great time!
That evening, when Ian finished work for the day,we headed out to Downtown Durham for dinner and dessert.  We started out with burgers and fries at Bull City Burgers and then headed to the Parlour for some yummy ice cream:
We finished our night with photos in front of the bull statue - we are in the Bull City after all.  We took lots of photos in front of this statue trying to get the perfect one - in one, Benny even decided he didn't need to wear his pants.  I decided not to post that one :)
The next morning, we headed to the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science.  It was different than most of the science museums I've been to in that a large part of the museum was outdoors.  We spent a little time inside, the headed to the play area outdoors.  Evan and Jack had fun climbing the rope ladder:
While Olivia and Ben had fun a little closer to the ground:
We took a train ride around he outdoor area of the museum, and even saw some dinosaurs hiding in the trees:
And stopped afterwards for a snack:
There was a mist exhibit where the kids could run through a grassy area and some thick, man-made mist.  When the mist was at its thickest, the boys disappeared into the fog.  They came out a little wetter than before, but happy:
As I mentioned earlier, there were dinosaurs scattered throughout the park.  Everyone enjoyed looking for the dinosaurs amongst the trees:
And climbing on the ones they could reach:
 
They all had fun in the dino dig area, including Olivia: 
We finished off the outing with some delicious North Carolina barbecue at Bullocks.  I like my Texas barbecue, but I always enjoy getting some North Carolina barbecue with the delicious vinegar-based sauce.  I think Olivia practically ate her weight in hush puppies:
Back at home, after dinner, the kids enjoyed popsicles on the front porch: 
Followed by some fun in the sprinklers to wash off some of the stickiness: 
On our last full day there, we headed to the beach near Wilmington, NC.  Katy and I loaded up the 4 kids in the van we rented, while Ian and Tommy followed behind, stopping by Britt's donuts (supposedly one of the best donut shops in the nation) to grab some donuts.  I ate more than I'm willing to admit - they were just plain glazed donuts, but they were delicious.  Here I am with the deliciousness on the beach:
It was Olivia's first trip to the beach and, from the sand to the ocean, she loved it all.
Daddy held her hands while she took her first dip in the ocean:
Everyone loved playing in the sand:
Uncle Tommy helped the boys build sandcastles:
And dig holes.  Jack and Olivia enjoyed playing in one:
Livi and I got some time to relax while the boys played.  We took a nice long nap and, while I covered Olivia with a towel, half of my body got a little warmer than I wanted and I ended up with lovely sunburn.
The trip home from the beach was less than ideal, with the kiddos going from crazy giggly to crazy tired in a matter of minutes.  Ian and Tommy were very thankful to be following behind the van in their own, quiet car.

We made it safely back to Texas the next day, but not before a sprint through the Atlanta airport to catch our connecting flight.  Whenever I visit my sister, I always return home jealous of those people who can meet their siblings for lunch on a weekday and hang out on the weekend, but it makes me even more appreciative of the wonderful sister I have.  Thanks to the Davises for being such wonderful hosts.  We love you guys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cousins were a big part of my growing up years. We had so much fun. I hope that your kids and Katy's kids will always remain close and have fun together. Love, Mommie Dearest